Tuesday, April 17, 2007

April 18, 2007

Dear Sassy: I have to tell you I L-O-V-E your blog! I’ve got a real puzzler for you this time. I recently completed a project, and would like to gather all the various information on the project, including emails I have placed in personal folders, word documents, spreadsheets, etc. together in to one folder. Can you advise me on the best way to accomplish this? Where would you locate such a folder?
~ Ready to fold in Forbing

Dear Forbing:
Excellent question! This question caused Sassy to test a few things before answering. Sassy would L-O-V-E to assist you in organizing your files. First, you need to know where you are saving your files (word documents, excel spreadsheets), most times these files are saved in the generic My Documents (or My Files) folder. If you don't know how to tell where your files are being saved - open up the file, and click Save As. This will open up a new window in which you can determine where the file is being saved.

Let's create a new folder in My Documents and place all the related files into that folder.

Here are the steps: Open My Documents.
<If you are unsure how to get to My Documents: Right click on Start, (left) click on Explore. This will open up a new window. You should see a folder called My Documents (or whatever folder you save your documents to) on the left hand side.> Here you can right click within this window and click New and click Folder. Name the folder appropriately. Within this window you should be able to drag and drop your related files.

Now to get the emails to this newly created folder... Sassy hopes that you already have a personal folder set up with the emails that you want to put in this folder. Click on the personal folder that you want to incorporate into your folder in My Documents. You will want to Select All (CTRL A) and Copy (CTRL C) the emails. Once you have the emails copied then you will open your folder in My Documents and Paste (CTRL V). If your emails are spread throughout your Outlook, you will need to individually copy and paste the emails into this folder.

Whew, Sassy thinks this was the longest post ever. Sassy needs to go home early...

No comments: