Tuesday, March 6, 2007

March 6, 2007

Dear Sassy: I'm embarrased to ask this, but if I specify Norton anti-virus to run when "idle" does that mean my computer has to be connected to the Internet through my isp provider or, that my computer has to just be turned on? If it just has to be turned on, then how do I know Norton is running and when it is finished so I can turn off my computer? (Dial-up blocks telephone calls).
~ To be continued...

Dear Continued:
Good follow up question! When the computer is "idle" it just means that it isn't running any programs, being idle doesn't have anything to do with Internet connectivity. For Norton to update its virus definitions, your computer must be connected to the Internet. Now, once your machine has the new definitions, you can disconnect from the Internet and run the Norton software to scan your machine.

From the past questions regarding Norton and your Internet use, it may benefit you more to complete all of your work on your machine and then manually update the Norton definitions, disconnect from the Internet and run the Norton scan software (in that order). When you manually run the software there should be a window showing the progress of the scan. This window will also be an indicator on when Norton is finished scanning so that you can shut down your machine.

No comments: