Monday, March 5, 2007

March 5, 2007

Dear Sassy: I still have a few more questions regarding my anti-virus software. Can I specify when it runs? It seems to slow down my dial-up connection even slower. Can I check my email before it starts running, and then leave my computer on to do the Norton scan when I'm done working?
~Part deux on Anti-virus

Dear Deux: Keep the questions coming! Sassy wants to make sure that you have all the information you need to keep you and your machine happy. You can specify when the anti-virus software will run. Sassy does not have Norton installed, but you should be able to open up the program (Norton) to look to find where you can define options. With McAfee (like on our work machines) click Start > Programs > Network Associates > VirusScan Console. Once this opens you can specify when it will run as well as when the program will update.

For your home machine, instead of defining a time in which to update/run your software you may want to designate a time frame. In McAfee there are a few alternative choices you can make: At System Startup (where you can place a delay) or When Idle. If you select one of these options, this will guarantee that your machine will update on a regular basis (since your machine will be on) and hopefully not slow down your Internet connection too much.

No comments: